Here is a craft idea from our Badge Manual CD (see page 14). This can be used for the Pottery Level 1 badge.
Salt dough is great for making sculptures.
- Choose a simple, cartoon-like design - not too detailed.
- Mix and knead together 2 cups Plain Flour, 1 cup Salt, 1 cup Water.
- Roll out dough to 1cm thick and cut out your design (can use template).
- Place design onto a lightly greased baking tray.
- Add the detail (eg. eyes, lips) sticking them on with a small bit of water, which acts like glue.
- Add on fine detail with a pencil, by pressing it into the dough.
- If hanging your design, push a large paper clip into the dough at the top (use two paper clips if you have a big sculpture).
- Bake in oven at 120°C – baking time depends on the dough’s thickness. General rule: Bake ½ hour for every ½ centimetre. When it’s cooled, press underneath at the thickest point – if still soft, bake a little longer.
- Once hard you can paint (poster or acrylic ) and varnish your sculpture.